Caring for plants in winter
To care for the plants that we currently have in our garden, terrace, and inside of our house, we must consider some precautions that have to do with changes in temperature, heating, and inadequate irrigation when the thermometers fall.
One of the main precautions you should take right now is about buying plants.
Although this is time of a year that are sold and bought fewer crops, a plant is a magnificent entertainment, and it is worth remembering that you have to look good on every issue that is acquired.
It is important not to have spotted leaves and the roots do not protrude through the drainage holes. It does not hurt to test releases remove the specimen from its pot and check the root ball out of one piece and that the roots are abundant, clear and not black color, because that would be a symptom of decay.
Once you have your new plants at home, you have to be very careful with heating. Indoor plants should not be placed near heat emitters. The main precaution you must take is to maintain the proper humidity level.
Place bowls of water to counter the environmental dryness and help maintain moisture in the soil, it will be beneficial for all crops. In addition, we recommend spraying them from time to time and prevent dust buildup on its leaves.
You also have to be careful when choosing the location of your plants, and place, preferably near points of light, but not glued to the windows. One trick that will help you and keep chilly is grouping;
In the case of outdoor plants, when temperatures are low, it is advisable to reduce watering, since water may freeze and thus freezing plant. In addition, excess water can rot the roots. It is also appropriate to place potted plants near walls that provide them protection, or in bushes. To try to avoid the cold and also protect plants from the cold that emerges from the ground. To do this, we can put the pots on a wood to avoid direct contact.
During the winter we cannot say there is a proliferation of pests. However, we can find problems that can disfigure or break our gardens especially. Accidents are mainly derived from fungi, which can occur due to excessive irrigation or in areas where rainfall is plentiful. A good fungicide will be the solution to Posteriori, but it ensures that the plants have good ventilation and of course watered sparingly.
You need to know what type of plants we have in our garden, terrace or balcony for some species simply do not tolerate cold and although we protect eventually die. If that is the case with some of your plants, the best alternative is to move them inside where they can keep a proper temperature.
If in the area where you live much lower temperatures, it is important to protect the plants found on the outside, especially items like snow. A good way is to place them near a wall to protect them or between shrubs that can give some heat and cover a little.
- The pots found in the soil must also be protected from the cold that generates the floor so they can survive the winter. For this you place them on a plank of wood or plastic, away from the floor when the temperatures begin to drop.
- Do not water your plants in winter, they could kill or excess water. Remember that in the absence of sunlight the plants get being longer in receiving liquid.
- In the case of plants found in the interior, there are some important factors to consider surviving the winter. The first is never to place them near a heater or heat, excessive heat and dryness caused by these devices could cause enormous damage.
- Like outdoor plants during the winter should be watered slightly inland. It is recommended to pulverize with water occasionally to clean the dust produced in the environment.
- It is essential that indoor plants are near a window or entry of light during the winter, because at this time of year usually suffer due to the absence of this important for healthy growth and development.
- You can go to a garden center with a specialist and advise you about what are the best nutrients for your plants in winter, so you can strengthen them and help them through the winter successfully.
As our skin and hair feel the drop in temperature during the cold months plants also suffer, especially when they are abroad, so it is important to protect them so that, come spring, to look beautiful and ready to receiving the heat of the coming months. Actually, somehow, not caring for plant in winter will affect the nutrition you take in winter as well.